Sunday 18 November 2012

relationships

     Here it is, November, I began this is August, certain that I would be writing regularly, and all I have included are a few poems.
     I have found it more difficult than I hoped, to write about being a grandmother. To do so brings our private lives to the public, without grandchildren being able to give their consent for that, as anything I write, is about them as much as about myself. It is also difficult to write about the middle generation, my daughter and her husband, as they are not in a writing project, so this would be a one-sided view of their experience.   I began with great enthusiasm and happiness, then, nothing. I find myself unable to write more, so publicly, as being a grandmother is a group of relationships, about love and trust, including with everyone, my daughter, her husband, and my husband the grandad, as well as with Rebecca and (already before he is born) her brother. I know people write about their relationships and deal with the consequences of how others interpret what has been written, and that is often the stuff of writing, but it seems to me it is an invitation to misunderstandings with no real way to fairly give respect to each person's understanding of the truth of themselves and others.
I considered requesting that my daughter edit everything I write before I publish it here, but that puts an enormous strain on her, and is still not a fair way to respect her in this blog, so I will not.
     Thus, today's post is about uncertainty and finding a way to write.
Janet

No comments:

Post a Comment